Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Buffelsdrift pentad - 102 species

Last week I decided it is time for another list with 100 plus species! So the past weekend was spent in the Buffelsdrift pentad – a pentad to the west of Roodeplaatdam. I suppose I could have chosen a better pentad to look for 100 species, but during my visit to this area last week (see previous post) I saw lots of birds and thought if I spend enough time in the pentad 100 species could be a possibility.

EarlySaturday morning myself and Rob Geddes (an atlaser who has submitted literally 1000s of incidental sightings to the SABAP2 project) listened for owls and nightjars and our patience paid off when we were able to tick Marsh Owl and Fiery-necked Nightjar. The resident Barn Owls kept quiet but luckily Rob heard them the next morning and I could add them to the list. As it got light we ticked a number of common species and the River Warblers were also calling again. The melodious calls of White-browed Scrub-Robin and White-throated Robin-Chat were heard as well as Marsh Warbler.

A little bit of a surprise were two African Black Ducks flying over us – I suppose on the way to a river in the area where they can usually be found. Also flying past was a group of Black-faced Waxbills. I would have loved to watch them for a while – but as they moved on it was not to be. Groundscraper Thrushes entertained us with their antics on the telephone lines and White-bellied Sunbirds enjoyed themselves in the flowers around us.

Two Violet-backed Starlings flew past – so they are still with us and a family of Burnt-necked Eremomela’s moved through the trees. Two Cuckoo species were recorded namely Diederick and Levaillant. A Bearded Woodpecker tapped like mad. Amazing group of birds – the woodpeckers.

With just over 70 species on my list when I left Rob’s farm I had some work left to do to get to 100 species but I kept going and added White-throated Swallow, African Grey Hornbill, European Bee-eater and maybe the highlight of the two day’s of atlasing - Common House-Martin. The only raptor for the weekend was a Black-shouldered Kite. I returned home with 85 species on my list. My only hope to get to 100 species was to find some waterbirds the next day.

The pentad is cut in two by the N1 highway and I did not give much thought to bird the strip of the pentad to the NW of the highway. But Rob suggested that I have a look at the wetland there and also look out for ducks at the dams at Ludwig’s Roses. The dams contained nothing but the wetland and surrounding area were a big surprise. On the road next to the highway (not near the wetland) I ticked Grey-backed Camaroptera, White-browed Sparrow-Weaver, Black-crowned Tchagra and Marico Sunbird.



The Marico Flycatchers were vary tame and posed nicely for a photo or two. The wetland did not contain a lot of water but I am certainly going to keep this area in mind for a visit next summer. It must contain lots of flufftails and crakes and with the road network running through it I think it might just be possible to see some of the secretive birds crossing the roads. Woodland Kingfisher, Lesser Swamp-Warbler and Cape Longclaw were seen or heard as well as some bishops and widowbirds.

My final total was 102, but of more significance to me is the fact that it is possible to see more than 100 species in 5 hours in this area! Parts of it are totally degraded and there is a major highway running through it! I am certainly blessed with such variety within a few minutes drive from my home.

No comments: